Spread describes the process by which we take change ideas beyond the initial area of testing to new areas or teams. Spread normally takes place once a change idea has been succcesfully tested, implemented and sustained under a variety of conditons. If you know the change project and ideas are likely to be spreadbale this should be planned for from the beginning of an improvement project.
This section focuses on some key principles and practical tools that will help you to spread your improvement ideas.
Topics in spread
References, Frameworks and Tools
Tools and frameworks
- Readiness for spread checklist
- Adoption attributes worksheet
- Spread Planner
- IHI Breakthrough Series Collaborative model
- Generating action through storytelling
- Storytelling framework
- The Improvement Guide 2nd Edition (2009). Langley et al.
- The Spread Challenge. The Health Foundation (2018)
- Framework for Spread. Institute for Healthcare Improvement (2006)
- Planning for Scale. Institute for Healthcare Improvement (2008)
- Slow ideas. Gwande (2013) The New Yorker