Leadership for Integration (LfI) is addressing an appetite for leadership support for health and social care integration in Scotland and creating a pool of current and potential future leaders. This is an extension of the 2016 - 2018 leadership for integration work.
Leadership for Integration comprises of two development opportunities for primary care and social care professionals including GPs, senior primary care professionals, and middle or senior managers in statutory, third or independent social care organisations who are working in lead roles in health and social care partnerships or localities to shape, develop and deliver integrated care.
The programme, offered in partnership by NHS Education for Scotland, the Scottish Social Services Council and the Royal College of General Practitioners (Scotland), receives its funding from the Scottish Government and has recently been extended with new cohorts commencing October 2019.
It has two parts: one programme aimed at individuals and another focusing on groups.
You as a Collaborative Leader is designed to help you recognise your own leadership strengths and sources of resilience and how you can best use these to lead change more collaboratively and effectively to deliver health and social care integration.
With a mixture of personal coaching and group workshop sessions, it is designed specifically to support you to create greater presence, influence more effectively and have greater impact as a collaborative leader.
Participants in the first five YaCL cohorts (2016-18) said, in their evaluation, that it developed:
- Personal leadership styles necessary for integrated working
- Insights into personal patterns of behavior and blockages
- A greater sense of personal role and potential influence
It was genuinely one of the most useful experiences professionally. I have never had supervision which has allowed me to focus on who I am and what I bring to my role and how I can affect change in such a structured, interesting and challenging way. Each session reinvigorated my motivation to do a good job.
You as a collaborative leader is designed to help you recognise your own leadership strengths and sources of resilience and how you can best use these to lead change more collaboratively and effectively to deliver health and social care integration. It is designed specifically to support you to create greater presence, influence more effectively and have greater impact as a collaborative leader.
The programme is completed over approximately four months and involves:
- three 1:1 coaching sessions (one at the start, middle and end of the programme)
- a 360 degree assessment and feedback exercise on your leadership capability
- two full-day workshops focusing on leadership capabilities for health and social care integration. There will be some content on the vision for integrated care, and on people, contexts and systems that impact on leadership actions. You will be encouraged to build on what you learn about yourself and your leadership capability in your coaching sessions, to explore how you can lead change more effectively and collaboratively in your locality
- a tailored personal development plan to help you sustain your learning in practice
Leadership for Integration is showing to be an effective way to support health and social care integration in Scotland. The programme’s success is reflected in the following evaluation documents.
Background, Context and Admin
For participants who completed the Train the Trainer workshop in March 2019, this section contains all the documents we shared explaining and supporting the background and context of the programme as well as some of the administrative documents you may want to use.
- YaCL structure and outcomes model ( Download, 135 KB)
- Health and Social Care Leadership Capabilities ( Download, 91 KB)
- YaCL Application Template ( Download, 135 KB)
- Example participant emails ( Download, 104 KB)
- 360 feedback tool guidance ( Download, 654 KB)
- YaCL Evaluation Template ( Download, 306 KB)
- YaCL Example Evaluation Story ( Download, 61 KB)
Course Delivery Materials
For participants who completed the Train the Trainer workshop in March 2019, this section contains all the documents you were introduced to that form the handouts and content delivery.
- YaCL workshop 1 presentation ( Download, 417 KB)
- YaCL Workshop 2 presentation ( Download, 504 KB)
- Resistance free change ( Download, 619 KB)
- Leadership Compass Handout ( Download, 155 KB)
- Leadership Compass Facilitation Notes ( Download, 174 KB)
- Mapping and Influencing Template ( Download, 130 KB)
- Marketplace Invitation ( Download, 138 KB)
- Working across the whole - a resource ( Download, 142 KB)
- Technical V's Adaptive Challenges ( Download, 30 KB)
- Using the Immunity to Change Framework ( Download, 116 KB)
- New GP Contract Overview ( Download, 643 KB)