Commonly Asked Questions

Add to favourites

In this section we will regularly post questions which are regularly asked about Adults with Incapacity its worth checking regularly to see updates. 

Commonly Asked Questions
commonly asked questions

Question: Do I need an S47 form?

In the situation a dentist, who hasn't undergone AWI training, has a patient who they judge to lack capacity to consent. Is it necessary for them to obtain a S47 from either their GMP or the PDS, or should they continue with treatment without a S47 but applying the principles of the act to make treatment decision and involve appropriate others?


With the exception of an emergency, if a patient lacks capacity, an AWI is required for treatment.